Saturday, October 8, 2011

Tonight They Are Nestled

All snug in there run. Due diligence and the realization that it was getting dark got the kids to bed safely before it was too dark to see. Last night's heartache was just too much to go through again. I thought they had been done away with or eaten by a stray dog. I couldn't find them anywhere. I had gone to Nae's for dinner and instead of denying them there full amount of time to roam in the yard (summer is waning), I left them to put themselves to bed. I had used this method on Tuesday night when I had to go to class. All went well, so I thought I could use it again. Because they are creatures of habit and always return to the roost, I thought when I got home I could just latch their gate. When I realized they were nowhere to be seen I grabbed a flashlight, but I couldn't see them anywhere. The coop was empty. They weren't in the yard. Not behind the shed. Not under the stairs. My only hope was that they had decided to just camp out under the deck for some reason instead of returning to the coop. So when I heard Ken crowing this morning at the crack of dawn, I jumped out of bed to greet him and the girl. I have never been so happy to hear him crow!  What a relief. It's amazing how we get so attached the critters. Even Ken and his "fowl" temper! Rotten rooster. But I love him and his better half.

No comments:

Post a Comment