Sunday, August 7, 2011

Can't A Girl Get A Little Privacy?

I've noticed over the last couple of nights when putting the kids to bed that when they get settled they are nowhere near their nests. Chic is hunkering down in the corner nearest the door. Ken is sitting on top of her. I think. Or she is burrowing underneath him.

I don't know which is the case.

From reading a bit on the internet and taking an objective look around at their digs, I'm thinking her nest is not providing enough privacy, is not placed correctly, and is too big. She is after all a very slight banty hen.

We thought, "how clever of us" and we can save the planet at the same time. We recycled two drawer portions of a space saver wire basket system filled with clean wheat straw. We put them side by side on the solid floor half of the coop. Hmm. Not so clever in hindsight.

Back to the drawing board. I will post the solution to this problem later when I get it figured out and soon. She should start laying in September as her 4 1/2 month birthday was July 31. Hang in there Chic N Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment